Pup O Mania (is it really over?)


Pup O mania is finally winding down at our house.  By the time you read this, most of the puppies will have gone home.  Kaia’s pups are scheduled to go to their new homes between 7/9 and 7/15. 
We’ve had 2 litters of pups this spring, one with Ginger, our standard poodle and one with Kaia, our Labrador retriever. Whelping and raising 2 litters of puppies back to back has taken its toll on our home, our business and our social life.  I want to tell you that it was all such a joy that I’d do it over again in a heartbeat, but…  Hmm… maybe not!  We have no breeding plans for the foreseeable future.
Kaia and her pups are all in great shape.  She is only nursing once a day now and the pups are eating solid food 3 times a day.  Wow!  What appetites these little fur balls have!  And, of course, what goes in must come out so…  I’ll spare you the gory details.  You’re welcome!
Several of the pups will be going to local families, so hopefully we’ll be able to keep in touch and watch as the pups grow up.  I was especially pleased that some of the pups went to hunters and folks who plan to run their dogs in the Hunting Retriever Club.  It will be exciting to watch them grow and share in their accomplishments.  Each one of these puppies was born right into my waiting hands so I feel very connected to them even though they are going to new homes.
It has been interesting to watch the prospective puppy guardians choosing their pups.  It seems everyone has their own method or test to pick out the best puppy.  I’m baffled by some of the theorizing behind such tests.  I’ve watched the puppies grow and change each and every day since they were born.  Often times the pup that appears dominant one minute will appear subordinate just a few minutes later.  The pup that looks like a runt one day turns out to be a big bruiser after just a few short days.
I had my own very scientific method for picking a puppy and I’ll share that with you in the article about the new member of our household.   For now I just want to congratulate all the new puppy-parents and welcome them into our family.  I’m sure you each picked the perfect pup!